In my research, I found two types of tools:
1) Tools to track app store sales and
2) Those to track app store ranking.
iPhone App Store Sales Data Tools
These tools automatically download your app store sales and equip you with various charts to understand trends.
I found these in a great post, Sales Stats Tools for iPhone Apps, by Mark Johnson. You’ll find a bunch more detail in his post.
iPhone App Ranking Tools
Then I looked into these 3 ranking tools.
Each had different strengths, but I especially liked APPlyzer, and started using it. APPlyzer is a web based app ranking tool that is currently free really inexpensive.
Its features include:
- Ability to track category and overall ranking by country
- Charts of past seven days by category and overall by country
- Top 50 worldwide list
What I liked:
- It’s web based
- Very simple interface
- Easy to track both my apps and my competitor’s apps
I hope they’ll add the ability to:
- Look at several apps at a time
- See charts by various date ranges
- Receive alerts when an app passes a certain rank
Here are a few screen shots:
Rankings by Country for Picfree
Photography Category Ranking for Picfree
Overall Paid Ranking for Picfree
So that’s about it. Let me know what you think of APPlyzer or these other tools.
Want more help? – I think you’ll find my How to Market iPhone Apps eBook quite helpful.
UPDATE – 10/23/09
UPDATE – 9/4/09
- Since the orginal post I’ve been able to connect rank changes to PR, in app promotions, ad spend, and price changes.
- By having all that data you can better estimate whether a certain change (say a price reduction) will or will not give you a positive ROI.
- I wrote this post over 2 months ago now and continue to use APPlyzer daily.
Photo credit: flattop341