It’s Friday. About to snow 20 inches. I’m a skier. So this will be on the lighter side.
Affiliate programs are like plumbing. Most people choose In-House plumbing these days, but you do have a choice, right? Dig a hole, put up four walls and a door with a moon on it. But what do you get in the end?
I’m not suggesting that either an In-House or Outsourced affiliate program is like an outhouse. What I am suggesting is that you have a decision to make.
Why Build an In-House Program?
- Increased flexibility
- Saving roughly 30% per sale of above your commission
- Building your expertise over time
- Using it as part of your SEO strategy with better link types
- You can’t find what you need from the current providers
Why Outsource Your Affiliate Program?
- Saves you time…you can launch a simple outsourced program in 1-2 weeks
- Save you money…can cost a lot to build the infrastructure
- Allows you to focus on what you’re good at
- Takes all the time consuming, mundane tasks off your plate (i.e. check cutting)
- Gives you a network of affiliates through CJ, Linkshare, ShareASale, and others
There will be different reasons for each organization as they make this decision. Most of the time it will come down to where you believe you can generate the most revenue with the least amout of cost.