I’ve been writing this blog for just over 1 year and it’s finally starting to take off. Most of my new clients in the past 3 months have come from this blog.
But that’s not the best part. It’s what I’ve learned along the way.
Let me share 3 key ingredients to successful blogging:
- Work smart
- Work hard
- Don’t quit
You can’t just work hard when it comes to ranking high in Google. If you don’t know what you are doing, you’ll get nowhere.
In my experience you can learn about blogging from one of three sources:
- Reading…you can learn TONS by reading. Just type in “learn to blog” and you’re on your way. The downside to this approach for me has always been time. Who has that much time?
- Job experience…jobs train you for all sorts of things. You may be in print advertising, but your company needs you to learn about blogging. So you get a great opportunity to learn something new.
- Mentors…unfortunately most of us don’t have the time to read or are in the place for a “blogging” job experience. So I suggest you find a mentor.
Then again, it’s still really hard work. If you are going to create a blog, you’ll be working hard.
My advice is, if you can’t blog at a minimum weekly, don’t do it at all.
In addition to writing, you’ll need time to:
- Set up & maintain your blog
- Promote your blogs posts
- Guest blogging to build links
There are no guarantees that your blog will be successful. Mine was definitely not at first.
Here is some inspiration. My traffic over the last 12 months:
As long as you’re working hard and working smart, DON’T QUIT!
You’ve got to be patient so that you don’t give up before you succeed. I’d suggest you blog weekly for a minimum of six months before you think of giving up.
IF you work smart, work hard, and don’t quit, you can create a blog that greatly benefits your business. Hope that helps!
Photo credit: robertpogorzelski